Friday, October 7, 2016

Palm Up Parenting



As I observed my children today, I notice O, dominantly gives directives and AB dominantly gives orders. POOR communication habits they picked up from Mom and Dad. Seeing O do this to Anabelle reminded me of a TED talk I watched once about palm use. You can watch it here: https://youtu.be/ZZZ7k8cMA-4

So, I started to consciously change my hand position when I talked to them placing the palm of my hand up, giving more of an invitation feel, than an order (palm down) or a directive (pointer finger). After trying for several minutes I found either kid was more willing to listen to what I was saying. Amazing! Wonder if it will continue to hold true! Can't hurt, right? Thought I'd share and encourage palm up parenting.


No comments:

Post a Comment